[IPOL discuss] [IPOL tech] two questions about demos

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Nov 28 02:54:56 CET 2014

> 2) I was wondering why my demo was not using the
> full browser width. I then discovered that the reason
> is that the CSS in http://www.ipol.im/local.css includes:
>
> #content{max-width:64em;}
>
> imposing a fixed maximal width to the contents of the
> web pages. Is there any reason to impose this limit to all pages?

* reason to limit on text pages:
  avoid excessive long lines
* reason to limit on other pages:
  have a consistent design on every IPOL page

> If it is necessary for the ipol front page and articles' web pages,
> it may be a good idea to separate in two groups: text pages
> and demo pages. By the way, I noticed this option is overwritten
> in the archive pages.

The limited width worked for most demos, so I thought it was better to
have the max-width everywhere. Archive pages are nor organized
vertically, so the width was extended for these pages. You can decide
to override it in your demo too, if you think it makes sense for
everyone, on small/large/wide screens. You can wrap your demo content
in a <div style="width:..."></div>, or incert a css rule to redefine
#content{max-width}.

(I bounce the thread to discuss at ipol, for info)

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F