[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: An Analysis and Speedup of the FALDOI Method for Optical Flow Estimation

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Fri Mar 8 17:32:00 CET 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/238/

Ferran P. Gamonal, Coloma Ballester, Gloria Haro, Enric
Meinhardt-Llopis, and Roberto P. Palomares,
An Analysis and Speedup of the FALDOI Method for Optical Flow Estimation,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 94–123.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.238

Abstract
We present a detailed analysis of FALDOI, a large displacement optical
flow method proposed by P.Palomares et al. This method requires a set of
discrete matches, which can be extremely sparse, and an energy
functional which locally guides the interpolation from the matches. It
follows a two-step minimization method at the finest scale which is very
robust to the outliers of the sparse matcher and can capture large
displacements of small objects. The results shown in the original paper
consistently outperformed the coarse-to-fine approaches and achieved
good qualitative and quantitative performance on the standard optical
flow benchmarks. In this paper we revise the proposed method and the
changes done to significantly reduce its execution time while reporting
nearly the same accuracy. Finally, we also compare it against the
current state-of-the-art to assess its performance.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/