[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Cloud Detection by Luminance and Inter-band Parallax Analysis for Pushbroom Satellite Imagers

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Nov 21 14:40:16 CET 2020

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2020/271/

Tristan Dagobert, Rafael Grompone von Gioi, Carlo de Franchis,
Jean-Michel Morel, and Charles Hessel,
Cloud Detection by Luminance and Inter-band Parallax Analysis for
Pushbroom Satellite Imagers,
Image Processing On Line, 10 (2020), pp. 167–190.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2020.271

Abstract

This paper proposes a cloud detection algorithm for Earth observation
images obtained by pushbroom satellite imagers. The pushbroom technology
induces an inter-band acquisition delay leading to a parallax effect for
the clouds. We propose a method exploiting this characteristic thanks to
the analysis of the inter-band disparity. Several other features
discriminating clouds are also defined and all are merged to build a
robust a contrario statistical decision. Experiments applied on scenes
acquired by various pushbroom satellites such as Sentinel-2, RapidEye
and WorldView-2 show the effectiveness of the proposed method. In
particular, we demonstrate a balanced accuracy rate close to 98% for
cloud and non cloud classification for Sentinel-2 images.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/