[IPOL discuss] Installation libpng sous linux

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Nov 5 12:11:59 CET 2010

Marc,

> je suis en train d'essayer d'installer libpng sous linux (kubuntu
> 10.04), et pour cela j'ai suivi ces conseils :
> http://www.techsww.com/tutorials/libraries/libpng/installation/installing_libpng_on_ubuntu_linux.php
> [...]
> J'avais eu le même problème sous windows que j'avais réussi à régler
> de manière pas très propre, et tu m'avais dit que sous linux ce
> serait vraiment plus simple.
> Tu aurais un conseil à me donner à ce propos?

Yes, it's very easy on linux.
Just type "sudo aptitude install libpng-dev" in a console, and that's
it.
You should also cleanup your previous installation, ie
"sudo rm -rf /usr/local/libpng".

As a generale rule, you *never* need to compile yourself external
software or libraries, you should find everything pre-packaged,
installable with "aptitute". Don't download and compile, just use the
package manager to get pre-compiled and pre-configures packages with
all their dependencies, ie "aptitude" in console mode or "synaptic" in
graphical mode.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F