[IPOL discuss] demo image credits

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Nov 26 04:30:46 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

Because we try to use an alternative copyright policy, more permissive
than the usual give-up-your-rights-and-pay policy used by most
editors, copyright compliance is important for the credibility of
IPOL.
This includes giving proper credits for all the images we use.

For all the images used in the algorithm description page, the
proposed procedure is to include credit information (authors, source,
licence) at the end of the page. See the bottom of the following page
for an example.
-> http://www.ipol.im/pub/algo/lmps_simplest_color_balance/

For the images proposed as demo input data, Jose-Luis and I are now
looking for the best solution:

One way is to provide credits together with the "description" page
images. The advantages are it is flexible, can include links and
other markup, and the authors can do it themself. But credits and demo
images are not together.

Another way is to provide credits on the demo input page, reading them
from the input/index.cfg file; see the following demo for an example:
-> http://demotest.ipol.im/~nil/blm_color_dimensional_filtering/
The advantages are the images and credits are on the same page, and
we can show credits even for demos without algorithm pages. But we
loose the flexibility of plain text editing (no more links, no more
grouping of images with the same credit).

Which solution do you prefer? Or maybe you have another idea?

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F