[IPOL discuss] IPOL on windows

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Oct 4 15:12:03 CEST 2011

Hi,

> > * I use make to build and to take care of my code.
>
> I know how to make releases with cmake.

I am interested in a cmake documentation to do more than building a
code with cmake (build the source doc with doxygen, parse with clang
--analyze, ...). The wiki would be a good place:
http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/using_cmake/

> you can do a cmake -Dwhatever or force cmake to read a certain
> environment variable.

It means that instead of
    make -B CFLAGS=-g LDFLAGS=-lefence
    make -B CC=icc
I would do
    cmake -DWHATEVER=-g -DFOOBAR=-lefence; make -B
    cmake -DBLAH=icc; make -B
I find it annoying, but let's be reasonable, it is not a major
problem.

> Going back to help Alvaro, Although the code will be frozen, is it
> possible to add a cmake file to an existing demo?
> I think it won't hurt to do it, and it will help the users that are
> not that expert in programming.

If the authors create a CMakefile, then we can update their code
package to add this CMakefile. I don't think we should modify the
authors code, they should do it (or ask some help to do it) because if
there is any problem, it is their code, their article, their
responsibility. And such a code update is an exception, because this
cmake issue has just been raised.

Alternatively, we can store contributed CMakefiles for IPOL codes in
the wiki too.

I suggest the authors to provide, in the IPOL article, a link to an
external page for future code updates. I think future code releases
should be hosted there, out of IPOL (because not reviewed) but
accessible from IPOL (via a link). This external page can be anything,
a http://dev.ipol.im/~user/foo/ or http://foo-university.edu/blah/
folder, a http://dev.ipol.im/git?p=user/foo.git or
http://github.com/user/blah git repository, ...

--