[IPOL discuss] IPOL on windows

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Oct 4 15:45:41 CEST 2011

> I think it is nice to accept contributions of third parties, not only
> authors.

When I publish an article in IPOL, I wouldn't want anyone else to
modify it while keeping my name as the author. This also is a
copyright issue: you can't present your work as being mine.
The base rule is "once published, an article doesn't change". That's
how any journal work, and without this rule we can't trust the journal
because the article will include some unreviewed material.

And we need to know what are talking about. When someone cites "the
IPOL code for the Foobar algorithm", it has to clearly point to one
given version of the code without any ambiguity.

Minimal changes can be accepted as an axception to the rule, for
example fo fix a serious bug or a copyright issue (this already
happened in IPOL), but the changes must be very detailed, and a note
from the editor systematically added to the article.

But IPOL is not the place where the a code will live and be improved
and updated. IPOL is a place where one given version of the code is
reviewed and published.

> Lets say I take the time to donwload and compile it on
> windows, it would be nice to give back the experience, in the form of
> instructions, cmake or whatever.

Do it in the wiki. It's a free space for this purpose, without
editorial restrictions.

> I don't wan't to increase the burden of the authors, which is very big
> at the moment.

Yes, I agree. But in the wiki (or anywhere else), not in the published
articles. Or it could be in a forum attached to every article, if
someone designs and installs these forums.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/