[IPOL discuss] Ipol articles class + an example

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Jan 19 07:37:13 CET 2012

> I agree with the exlusion of columns. I feel the 2nd solution is the
> most comfortable to read, and the margins are not a problem for
> me.

I tried with other articles, and I have to correct my first
impression. The first option is good too, it is indeed much
comfortable than most of the 1-column layouts used by other journals
with *very* long lines and small font size. And it still looks good
when printed 2 pages per side.

We could produce the screen-oriented version with low resolution and
one page per side, and the printer-oriented version with high
resolution and two pages per side. The printer version would still be
viewable and zoomable in PDF viewers on screen with the benefit of
high image resolution, and printable without wasting paper; the screen
version would be quickly loaded and fit the HTML viewers without wasting
screen space with the margins in a default full-width configuration.
These two versions would have identical page numbers.

The third version (B5, 65 cpl) is definitely too narrow for our needs;
some tables will be too large for this layout, and the algorithm
(p. 9) takes a full page for only 13 steps.

> Comments on the header:
> - "Image Processing On Line" could link to
>   http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/ipol (DOI register for IPOL as a journal)
> - CC-BY-NC-SA could link to
>   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
>
> For the links:
> - A quick idea: did you try to use the purple color from the logo (rgb
>   0.357 0.286 0.651) for the links? It may look nice (or may not, it's
>   just a quick idea...).

I figured out I could try it myself. The result of these tiny changes
(link color and links in the header) is available in
http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol-latex-format-2bis.tar.gz

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/