[IPOL discuss] Ipol articles + other errors

Simon Loic simon1lolo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:53:50 CET 2012

Thanks again Nicolas. I don't have answer nor fixes for all the issues you
mention. But in any case the goal is rather to get a fair idea of the
troubles we can face with the different pdf embedding solutions. And you
are providing very useful efforts towards this purpose.

I would add one moderation to that assessment: unless I'm mistaken, some
pdf that you tested are not representative of what we expect in IPOL.
Beyond that, it would more relevant to test pdf for which we know how they
were generated. In fact, it's only useful to test pdfs that are generated
with latex, and in particular with the IPOL latex template we are creating.

Meanwhile, here are few of my guesses or fixes about the issues you
reported:

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/pdfjs/viewer.html?file=../upload/2010_Van_Gorp_Grefen_-_Supporting_the_internet-based_evaluation_of_research_software_with_cloud_infrastructure.pdf
-> PDFjs: "ⓒ" and "① " not correctly displayed (page 1 and 8)
"""
Pdfjs handling of fonts is not mature yet. Nothing to do about that but
wait.

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/pdfjs/viewer.html?file=../upload/Carbonell_-_On_Man-Computer_Interaction_:_A_Model_and_Some_Related_Issues.pdf
-> PDFjs: uses lots of computing resources
-> Flash: doesn't render anything
"""
This file is not really relevant, since I hope we are not going to
accept scanned pdfs :)
For the flash issue the issue is related to the name of the file, I renamed
it so as to remove the colon, and it was rendered normally, see:
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/FlexPaper/index.php?doc=../upload/docs/Carbonell_-_On_Man-Computer_Interaction_A_Model_and_Some_Related_Issues.swf

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/pdfjs/viewer.html?file=../upload/Licklider_Clark_-_On-Line_Man-Computer_Communication.pdf
-> PDFjs: completely fails
-> Flash: heavy computation
"""
No clear idea of what's going on, but same remark, this file is not
representative of the files we are expecting for Ipol.

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/displayPdf.php?file=upload/Soudoplatoff_-_Innovation_Processes%20Revisited_by_Internet.pdf&method=Flex
-> Flash: the same error again: "displayPdfWithFlex.php\nNot implemented
yet!"
-> PDFjs: works
"""
Here again, it a simple issue of naming (most probably in the way I deal
with names in the php), when replacing the white space with an underscore
it works:
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/FlexPaper/index.php?doc=../upload/docs/Soudoplatoff_-_Innovation_Processes_Revisited_by_Internet.swf

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/FlexPaper/index.php?doc=../upload/docs/stronglinks-ssdbm2010.swf
-> Flash & PDFjs: very bad math rendering page 4 (bottom)
-> Flash: abnormal gray marks on page 3 when the illustration at the
  top of the page is out of the window
-> PDFjs: abnormal color in the illustration at the top of the page 3
"""
I guess the maths rendering problem is related to an uncommon way of
generating the math (not latex?).

"""
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/pdfjs/viewer.html?file=../upload/IPOL.pdf
-> PDFjs: the logo is not resterized with a low resolution, it is
  vectorial in the PDF file
http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/FlexPaper/index.php?doc=../upload/docs/IPOL.swf
-> Flash: dirty jpeg rendering of the logo (JPEG Gibbs artifacts at
  500% zoom)
"""
This would be a bigger issue. Do we really need a vectorial logo in the
articles? At least in the web rendering version, I would say that a bitmap
version should be sufficient. And we could still use the vectorial one in
the distributed pdf.

Loïc