[IPOL discuss] demo base class and git submodules

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Jan 23 21:23:34 CET 2012

Hi,

> The previous email from Nicolas raised a forgotten issue for me: the
> size of the code needed to build your own demo. [...] but we
> certainly don't need to download all demos with their corresponding
> images and stuff.

I completely agree, thisa code base has grown out of control. The
reason for the code weight is the input images. The solution is to
handle the input images like the code. Enric did it with his latest
demo; I intend to do it systematically once I come back to active demo
development (it's been too long..) [*].

Without these input files, the repository weight would be much
smaller. But the default code tree would still contain the 25 (and
counting...) demos. The second step would be to split the code in 2:
* the common code, plus an example
* all the demos
This way, one could download everything needed to build a demo without
getting all the other demos.

> I suggest to use git submodules for the different
> user demos. In this way, you can download the base class and an
> example to get started and later on you can download the rest.

Are submodules needed? just 2 repositories, and one parameter in the
common code to tell where to look for the demos, could be enough, no?

[*] The 'correct but slow' path could be
    - adopt some guidelines extentions for automated build
    - implement automated download and build in the demo
    - adopt similar (bur simpler) guidelines for data sets
    - use these quidelines, together with the automated download
      feature, for the demo input

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/