[IPOL discuss] demo base class and git submodules

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:33:34 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Nicolas Limare
<nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The previous email from Nicolas raised a forgotten issue for me: the
>> size of the code needed to build your own demo. [...] but we
>> certainly don't need to download all demos with their corresponding
>> images and stuff.
>
> I completely agree, thisa code base has grown out of control. The
> reason for the code weight is the input images. The solution is to
> handle the input images like the code. Enric did it with his latest
> demo; I intend to do it systematically once I come back to active demo
> development (it's been too long..) [*].
>
> Without these input files, the repository weight would be much
> smaller. But the default code tree would still contain the 25 (and
> counting...) demos. The second step would be to split the code in 2:
> * the common code, plus an example
> * all the demos
> This way, one could download everything needed to build a demo without
> getting all the other demos.
>
>> I suggest to use git submodules for the different
>> user demos. In this way, you can download the base class and an
>> example to get started and later on you can download the rest.
>
> Are submodules needed? just 2 repositories, and one parameter in the
> common code to tell where to look for the demos, could be enough, no?

Yes, that would be enough, the submodules thing was only intended to
mantain the current structure of subdirectories.

> [*] The 'correct but slow' path could be
>    - adopt some guidelines extentions for automated build
>    - implement automated download and build in the demo
>    - adopt similar (bur simpler) guidelines for data sets
>    - use these quidelines, together with the automated download
>      feature, for the demo input

In addition, this will became worse when the N optic flow demos are
included, because they will all possibly (and maybe reasonably) share
the input images, so it realy make sense to decouple in three parts:
base demo+user demos+datasets.
And this willl happen with every major area in image processing
(segmentation, denoising, etc)

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
Best regards,
                  Juan