[IPOL discuss] IPOL y GPU-CUDA

Miguel Colom colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Aug 16 10:42:04 CEST 2017

Quoting Alvaro Gomez <agomez at fing.edu.uy>:

> Estimados,
>
> Se puede en IPOL correr código para gpu con cuda ?
>
> Hay alguna gpu en el servidor o está previsto que haya en el futuro ?
>
> Saludos,
> Alvaro

Dear Álvaro,

At this moment no IPOL server has a GPU with CUDA.
However, technically we could easily attach a GPU to any of the IPOL
computing server and the system would automatically router the
execution of these demos to the appropriate server.

I wouldn't advise to publish GPU code as the published main algorithm
of an IPOL publication because normally the code is more difficult to
read than a plain C/C++ with openMP. However, it's true that it could
accelerate numeric libraries which use the GPU, and we could publish a
fast version of the demo which uses the GPU code.

While the (new) IPOL demo system supports this routing without much
problem, the decision of using a GPU, accepting GPU codes as
publications, and to install the GPU itself is left for the Editorial
Board and the system administrators.

Best,
Miguel