[IPOL discuss] Ipol articles + vector/raster conversion

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Jan 19 16:42:07 CET 2012

> Ok, for the "65536 shapes" support it s a problem of the swf format.
>
> avoid it (by turning vector graphics into bitmaps). If so we could try
> first with the original options and then in case of failure with the bitmap
> conversion one.
>
> I can try and figure out the right options if you think it's worth
> it.

Articles like mine, with a fill web page embedded a a vector object,
wil be unusual, but we can not exclude the possibility of similar
problems when a complex vector object is embedded in the article.

I tried to convert my PDF file (618K) to high-resulution PDF 1.3
format, because this format doesn't allow PDF embedded in PDF, so
ghostscript converts the vector objects to raster images.

gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
   -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer
   -sOutputFile=5-rp_lr_13.pdf -f 5-rp_lr.pdf

The result weights 2.5M. Then I converted back this file to
low-resolution PDF 1.4 format

gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
   -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
   -sOutputFile=5-rp_lr_14.pdf -f 5-rp_lr_13.pdf

And the result weights 896K.

This file can be displayed by Flash and PDFjs, but the rasterized
graphics and surrounding test are ugly.
-> http://dev.ipol.im/~simonl/php/pdfInHtml/FlexPaper/index.php?doc=../upload/docs/5-rp_lr_14.swf

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/